Attached to this page and available for Download, please find the proposed new standard for embedded generation, aka “PV and Solar installations“.
It is now named: SANS 10142-1-1, The wiring of premises; Part 1-2; Specific requirements for embedded generation installations connected to the low voltage distribution Network in South Africa
The intent of the SABS committee producing this document is to publish and sell this as an additional document and that it remains subservient to SANS 10142-1.
Our belief is aligned to that of the Electrical Contractor’s Association in that SANS 10142-1 adequately covers most of the installation work, particularly with items included/ adjusted in the latest revisions. Introducing a couple of new paragraphs, and adjusting others would be a better way to resolve existing standard shortcomings rather than producing a completely separate and new document
- Duplication and/or contradictions to the current code and EIR/other legislation,
- Panels, inverters and batteries are covered by other standards,
- Is there really a need for special cables, termination and distribution/combiner boxes?
- SABS is busy moving over to IEC standards, how is a new standard going relate to other IEC standards that have already been adopted by the SABS?
- Cost of extra documents.
The process forward is shortly:
- Feedback to the committee who prepared this SANS document
- Their responses/adjustments accordingly,
- Further feedback etc. until finalised there.
- Submission to the main SANS 10142-1 committee
- Consideration and discussion by this committee, where we again have input,
- Upon this committee having finalised their decision, circulation for 60 day’s public comment,
- Consolidation of comments received and incorporation accordingly,
- If substantial changes, re circulation.
- Upon approval, submission to the SABS TC67 mother committee, and if approved,
- Publication into law.
Please submit responses or comment by 15 November 2018.
It is AREP’s intention to submit comment on this standard.